Friday, 11 February 2011

Spring cleaning continues

Spent some more time on the polytunnel yesterday. More repair tape had arrived courtesy of a firm called First Tunnels (very pleased with it too). So I managed to repair all but one torn area. That can be done at the weekend.

I also cut back the brambles and willows that sprout up down the outside edges.

Finally the pleasant bit! I spent the rest of my time removing the mulch of grass cuttings/straw from the big central bed and covered it all with a thick layer of newspapers. These were thoroughly soaked, before the straw mulch was put back down. The small test area where I laid newspapers a few weeks ago is looking very good - lots of worm activity and nice moist I feel like it is well worth continuing over all the beds.

There is some rubbish that has been dumped in there that needs to be bagged and binned, and the last of the woodwork to paint....then I might take some photos of the end result.

Last weekend we had an awful lot of rain - the three allotments in the bottom corner of our plot flooded again - and a week later they are still flooded.