Sunday 25 September 2011

Preserving goodness for the store-cupboard

I've still got lots of cooking apples to use so today I made another batch of Spiced Apple Chutney - after trying some with a veggie burger and a bun at lunchtime to make sure I was happy with the spicing and the thickness. The conclusion was that it was just right.

While we were out for our morning walk I also picked some Haws - only about 250g as I didn't spend too much time on it, but enough to try a half quantity of Saucy Haw Ketchup from the River Cottage Preserves Handbook.

The most fiddly thing about it was taking some of the stalks off the berries - I must admit I didn't take all of them off. Then they are simple simmered with water and white wine vinegar for 30 minutes.

The resulting panful of soft fruit is pushed through a sieve and then put back in the pan with some sugar, heated gently to dissolve the suga,r and then cook for 5 minutes.

I put the resulting gloriously coloured sauce into a jam jar ready to squirrel away.

One of the reasons that I was so keen to try this was that Pam Corbin suggests that it is very good with Nut loafs....and I fancy trying it with our Christmas Parsnip and Cashew Nut Roast. I'm looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment